These pages will describe the build process.

Having test fitted the parts that make up the wind turbine so far, I dissasembled it so that I could make a start on altering the main tube of the wind turbines yaw tube (front strut from car). I cut through the tube with a 4.5" angle grinder and cleaned the cut up with a belt sander, ready for welding. Being a very inexperienced welder, I thought I would play safe and also put a bolt through the two pieces that will be welded together. The idea of that lot comming down on my head while spinning at 500 RPM is not very appealing. I placed the two pieces together to get an idea of the best position to join the two parts. The hub, where the wind turbines blades will bolt on, needs to be off-set from the pivot point to allow the furling mechanism to work. Also mounting the bulk of the weight lower down the yaw tube should help from a stability point of view. I'm leaving the welding for another day. I don't have the time right now and I need to dig the welder out from a pile of junk in the garage. In the next update I should be showing off some very ugly welding skills.

I've now made a start on the welding. The main assembly is now mostly done, just leaving the tail pivot and boom to be fabricated and welded. I started by drilling a 12mm hole for a bolt to pass through where the two pieces will be welded together. I placed one of the the small steel discs that was left over from cutting the centre out of the large magnet rotor discs, between the two strut halves so that they fitted together nicely. I then tightened the bolt through the whole assembly to hold it together and began welding. By my standards, the welding went fairly well..... I only had three small fires to put out. The last time I'd done some welding, I managed to set fire to a container of industrial meths which melted the container and the whole floor was on fire. Once the two strut halves were welded to my satisfaction, my thoughts turned to the stator brackets. After a quick hunt around the workshop I found some sheet steel that looked perfect. I cut out three 6 inch long strips, about 1.25 inches wide, 1/8 thick. I pondered over drilling and tapping the hub body to bolt them on, when I realized I could just weld 'em on there.... Much quicker and easier. Duh....... After letting the assembly cool down for a few hours, I gave it a quick coat of hammerite paint. It's amazing how quickly the fresh welds get rust appearing on the surface.

 

I made up a quick stand to put the wind turbine on because it was awkward trying to work on it with it wanting to roll around all over the place. This took about 15 mins to knock together. It's not pretty, but serves it's purpose.