These pages will describe the build process.

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7

Having got as far as I have with the wind turbine. I thought it was about time to get the magnets positioned on the discs so that I could begin testing the output from various sized coils. I needed some kind of jig to space the magnets evenly around the disc. Once again I was grateful to have my homemade CNC router on hand to do the job for me. It had the jig cut out in around 2 minutes. To mark and cut this by hand would have taken half a day. There's a video of the jig being cut, here. I got the jig and one magnet on the wind turbine, then I had to pack up for the day as work was looming. Going to work can really ruin a perfectly good day.... While at work I found my self thinking that the magnets I'd bought were not going to be large enough. Flux density is proportional to the volume. Bigger magnets = more power. I asked around on a forum, what other, more experianced builders thought of my magnet size in relation to the alternator size. Ummm "tiny", they said. So after a quick rethink I've decided to purchase some magnets that have 8 times more volume than the 1" x 1" x 1/8" magnets that I have now... I've also decided to go from a 12 pole alternator with 9 coils, to an 8 pole alternator with 6 coils. This will still be 3 phase. This means that the spacing jig I just made is now of no use. Although it does have 12 slots, so may be I could make a clock out of it

While I wait for my new magnets to arrive, I've been having a quick look at the pivot assembly for the tail furling system. Most home made wind turbines use two pipes, where one pipe fits over the other, with some grease in between, making a simple pivot type hinge. I looked around for two pipes that were a good sliding fit... Just my luck.....Nothing... I came up with a slightly different arrangement that should work just as well. More importantly, I can make it from stuff that I already have. I'm building the tail hinge from some sheet steel, 10mm steel rod, and some 25mm steel rod. The 25mm rod has been drilled and reamed so that the 10mm rod is a nice sliding fit inside it. I'll get some pictures of the hinge up once it's welded together. For now, here's a couple of shots of some of the parts.

 

One "tiny" magnet can hold quite a lot of weight. Not sure if that's very useful, but there it is.

 
 
 

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ,7